top of page

Residing in Spain

Updated: Nov 11, 2023

When moving to another country, some steps have to be taken in advance. For example, documentation is necessary. Especially for non-European people is this important. The article focuses on the details required for moving to another country as a student or entrepreneur.

Student resident permit

If a student wishes to pursue education in Spain, they need certain documents. Most importantly, a student residence permit is required.

Procedure for Student Residence Permit

Firstly, the country of the individual’s nationality should be approved for travel to Spain. Then proof of educationin Spain is requested. So, evidence of admission into a Spanish education centre must be shown. Also, the student should show the financial means of living. This also proves that they can afford to return to their own country after the period has passed. Additionally, private or public health insurance is needed.


According to the Ministry of Inclusion, Social security, and Migration, the following documents are required.

· National visa application form in an official model in duplicate. It is duly completed and signed by the foreigner or his legal representative in case of being a minor. This form can be obtained at

· Complete and valid passport or travel title, recognized as valid in Spain. The minimum validity is the period for which the stay is requested.

· Documentation proving that you have the necessary financial means for the requested period and return to the country of origin.

· In the case of underage students, authorization from parents or guardians. It states the centre, organization, entity, and body responsible for the activity and the planned period of stay.

· Documentation proving that you have health insurance.

· Documentation accrediting being admitted to a teaching centre. For example, this could be an admission letter.

· If the duration of the stay exceeds six months: A medical certificate.

Entrepreneur residence permit

As for entrepreneurs or those working in the business sector, there is a different document for residency. These people are required to have another permit: the entrepreneur residence permit.

Procedure for Entrepreneur Residence Permit

The requirements and procedure for the entrepreneur residence are similar to the ones mentioned for the student permit. This permit is acquired when the particular individual wants to extend their stay in Spain. So, they want to go beyond the 90 days normally given for work or business projects.


According to the Ministry of Inclusion, Social security, and Inclusion, the following documents are required:

· Application form in official model (EX01), duly completed and signed by the foreigner. This model can be obtained at the following link.

· Responsible declaration detailing how it accredits the sufficiency of economic resources.

· Documentation accrediting having passed the tests and having obtained at least the university degree title

· Copy of valid passport or travel document, recognized as valid in Spain. Minimum validity should be 12 months. The original document will be displayed at the time of submitting the application.

· Documentation proving that you have health insurance.

Final notes

To conclude, both permits give the opportunity to travel in the Schengen area in Europe. However, all foreign documents should be translated into the Spanish language. Also, a consular office in Spain has to legalize the documents.

Prisca Urwingeri author of article Residing in Spain

Senior at University of Rome Tor Vergata

32 views0 comments


Los comentarios se han desactivado.
bottom of page